It’s Halloween week!!! So you know what that means!!! The Pumpkin Decorating Contest is just around the corner. The competition is always fierce. This year, I wanted to use supplies I had on hand. I don’t like carving my pumpkin…too much work and not enough joy. So, I looked at what I had in my craft supplies…and this is super easy, fun and great for kids and adults alike. I love how crafts can bring people together and how relaxing it is.
This year, I decided to make a Minion pumpkin. The best part is that I didn’t have to buy a single thing, used materials I had and had so much fun making this!! I hope you enjoy this DIY!!! Happy Decorating. Happy Halloween!!!
Here’s what you need:
- Glue Gun
- Paint Brush
- Newspaper or trash liner
- 1 canned good
- Yellow Spray Paint
- Black Acrylic Paint
- 1 sheet of black construction paper
- 1 sheet of white foam paper (or white construction paper works fine)
- 2 mason jar lids
- 2 googly eyes (if you don’t have this, making eyes using paper is fine)
- Black Ribbon (you can use black paint, black tape, or even black paper)
- Blue Tape (you can use blue paper if you don’t have blue tape
- 2 Black Pipe Cleaners (Cut this up into 1 1/2 in.)
- Go outside and line your work space with newspaper or a trash bag
- Sit your pumpkin on top of a canned good
- Spray paint your pumpkin, ensuring it’s evenly applied, allow to dry (at least 4 hours)
- Get your black acrylic paint and paint the stem
- While your pumpkin is drying, get your mason jar lids and white foam paper and cut two circles (you can use the lids to guide/ trace the circles)
- Glue the white circles to the jar lids (the inner side)
- Glue the googly eyes on top of the white foam
- Cut the black pipe cleaners (this will be the hair)
- Using the black construction paper, create:
- a lip (you can add teeth if you’d like)
- Cut 2 small circles (quarter sized), these will be the buttons on the overalls
- Cut the G logo –> you can download the template by clicking here
- When the paint on the pumpkin has dried, apply glue and stick the black ribbon across the top of the pumpkin, this will be the strap to the goggles/ glasses
- Glue the eyes (mason jar lids) over the black ribbon
- Glue the lips
- Glue the black piping cleaners (hair) by apply dots of glue using your glue gun
- Using the blue tape, create the overalls. I simply taped the blue tape parallel to the black ribbon (these are the overalls) and then tape strips downward to make up the bib of the overalls.
- Apply the black buttons where the overalls and the bib meets
- Place the G logo on top of the middle of the bib
- Place it in an area to greet your favorite trick-or-treaters!!!
Whatever you end up decorating (or not) Have Fun!!! Be sure to share your ideas with me. Happiest Halloween wishes!!!